The civil division handles cases in which the amount of money in dispute does not exceed $15,000. An action in the civil division begins with the filing of a complaint with the court, usually by an attorney. Complaints involving landlord tenant disputes, rent escrows and appeals to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles are filed with this division. It is important to keep in mind that the civil division is separate from the small claims division, which handles monetary claims of $6,000 or less.

To file a civil case the action must have occurred or the defendant must reside within the geographic jurisdiction of this court. The jurisdiction of the court includes all of South Euclid, the area of the Cleveland Metroparks that lies within the City of South Euclid, and Notre Dame College.

The court cannot offer legal advice or assistance in completing a complaint. If you have questions, you are advised to seek legal counsel. The court may not appoint an attorney to represent you in civil matters. If you need an attorney and feel that you cannot afford one, you may contact Legal Aid Services at (216) 687-1900.